Thursday, December 29, 2016

Christmastime!

Partner Author for this post: Seth!

Natalie volunteered to jump in when Seth deserted me, so I'll specify the comments.

Natalie: We are decorating our Christmas trees. 


Seth: We're decorating MY Christmas tree. 

Natalie: We are setting up the new big tree because the other one died. 

Natalie: We are decorating the other tree that is in the family room. 



Seth: I'm decorating that colorful Christmas tree! 

Seth: We did chocolate advent calendars as a family. 

Natalie: We are making peppermint patty cookies!


(The three older kids and I had such a great time at Christmas Around the World at BYU for a school field trip!)

Natalie: We had A LOT of fun at the Christmas Around the World! There were so many amazing dances!


(We had our annual Christmas Pancake Breakfast for our home and visiting teaching families. We love this tradition!)

(Our first Christ Centered Christmas activity is making heart shaped gingerbread cookies and talking about Mary.) Natalie: we made some very yummy gingerbread cookies!


Natalie: I got to roll some of the dough out. 


Natalie: There they are baking in the oven. We didn't make them all hearts. 

(From fb: When I decided to quit sugar this summer, my main concern was the social aspect of it. How would I feel when everyone around me was eating a treat? I LOVE to fill my home with the delicious aromas of baked goods- was I really willing to give up that part of who I am? And what about the holidays- our traditions center so often on beloved recipes for special treats- how could I just set that aside? And then there was of course the dreaded judgment of others, since I am already on the weirdness fringe with my no-makeup-homeschooling-energy-working self! But after 'pondering all these things in my heart', I decided to go for it. And you know what? I have learned SO MUCH about myself in those moments of choosing to not eat sugar. I still love making delicious desserts for my family- whether or not I eat them. I have found a way to adapt at least one recipe for each holiday so that I can eat it too. And I have learned and learned again and am learning and will continue to learn that I get my approval from God and myself- not anyone else. 
As we studied about Mary for our Christ Centered Christmas activity, we read this scripture (one of my absolute favorites!!) and made these heart shaped Molasses Gingerbread Cookies with raisins. They were SO GOOD. The kids seriously ate like 4 each by the time the night was over. It was a Christmas miracle and a tender mercy to me. I look forward to doing it again next year. I am so grateful for the example of Mary, that she could do hard things and ponder the Savior in her heart.)


Seth: I am Santa! Natalie: We saw Santa.


Seth: We were walking around in the cold place!!
Natalie: We went to see the lights on Temple Square. 




Natalie: We got to see foreign nativity sets. 

(This was our homeschool Christmas Book Club Party.)


Natalie: I wrapped up Caleb to make him look like a Christmas tree! 

Natalie: We got to make really cool Christmas decorations.


(Not pictured is our Joseph activity for the Christ Centered Christmas. This was a secret service and it turned out to be one of my top ten all time favorite Christmas moments! It was a Christmas miracle!) Natalie: Me too!!

Seth: I am running with Davis! (At the ward Christmas Breakfast.)

Natalie: We took pictures by the tree before church. 




Natalie: Aw! I love that picture of Mom and Dad! 


Seth: Christmas with the cousins!

(Our service project for Light the World was to make Blessing Bags for homeless people.)


(One of my favorites moments from Christmastime was captured in this photo- doing the Christmas binder with my extended family and singing carols afterwards!)

Natalie: We are saying goodbye to Mallorie.

(Celebrating through music for Light the World! It was so fun to watch the musical performance the kids choreographed!)


Natalie: Making cookies!

Natalie: I made them almost all by myself! 

(Okay so Seth has deserted me! Here we are caroling for our Angel Christ Centered Christmas activity. We stopped for an extra minute at our babysitter Abby's house to give her a gift. We love her!)

(From fb: We are participating in the Light the World initiative, and this afternoon we are doing the clothe the needy project. We went through every single item of clothing we have in our drawers and closets (ok not Kent's because he is not here) to see what we could give away and I was astounded. Not by what the kids have because we do that with the change of every season so it hasn't really piled up, but by what I own. I was recently surprised by the comment of a friend at church that she has never seen me wear the same dress. I know that isn't true because I know have worn the same dress/skirt many a time, but it gave me the opportunity to ponder my actions because I have totally judged others for what I deem to be the vain action of wearing fine and costly apparel. Really, Allison? I am apparently one of those vain people because I just went through my closet to find that I have 14 dresses, 16 skirts, 14 sweaters/cardigans, 2 vests, 20 long sleeve shirts, 34 short sleeve shirts, and 5 pairs of pants. I didn't count my pajamas/ exercise clothes, but I'm sure you get my point. Oh and this is AFTER the purging. I did that thing where you hold each item and ask "does this bring me joy?" And if the answer was yes I kept it. I have SO MUCH!!!! I've never counted before and never really thought about it before, but it was pretty fun. And interesting to learn about myself. And humbling. And now my clothes get to be organized by type and color ðŸ¤“
Ironic how this initiative is actually just benefiting my own life as much as all the other people we are helping. Merry Christmas!! )🎄

(We went to the Utah Symphony Christmas Performance for Families. SO FUN!!)

(I LOVE seeing my adorable niece in Natalie and Jenna's hand-me-downs!)
Natalie: SO CUTE!!

(Christ Centered Christmas activity for the Shepherds- testimony meeting by candlelight while eating at candy cane and drinking apple cider.) 


Natalie: We went on a wise men walk to give cookies to people. (For the Christ Centered Christmas Wise Men activity.)


Natalie: Me and Katelyn made a little family, including a dog, that is also Aunt Melissa's "hope to have" family. 

Natalie: See? I made a cute little dog! 

(Not pictured: Christ Centered Christmas activities for the Lamb and the Baby Jesus. Both were special traditions, and I'm so grateful for the chance to be intentional in this way leading up to Christmas!) 

1 comment:

  1. Bahaha "hope to have."
    Karl "hopes to have" a dog one day, i told him probably not ever.
    Also, i love all the commentary including yours because it's the most descriptive :)

    ReplyDelete