Sunday, September 6, 2015

All things wedding! (The Melissa and Karl version)

This post is MASSIVE. You have been given fair warning! =o]

I am so grateful that my sister found this man to marry. They are perfect for each other in more ways than I even know, and they are ridiculously happy! I posted about their engagement story earlier. 

Here are their adorable engagement pictures! She showed us the whole slideshow one of the times they came to visit and they were all super cute so it was hard to choose which ones to include, but here are my favorites:








I'm not sure why this picture is sideways because it wasn't originally, but whatever. I would post a picture of the invitation to the bridal shower too, but just realized it had our address and phone number on it! Can I just say that Natalie is already excited for the bridal shower she is going to have someday, because we hosted two of them this year and she loved every minute of it!

We went thrift store shopping for gold things, and took pictures for my mom in case she needed anything else for the reception too. 

Kent didn't approve of my lack of adequate decorations at Raycelan's shower, so he was heavily involved this time! =o]

Didn't the pictures turn out adorable? I especially love the trio. We had these on our counter the whole week before and it was so cute to hear all the kid's comments about them. I am so grateful for the righteous example Melissa and Karl are setting of a temple marriage!

Finding white and gold clothing was a struggle, so unbelievably, I wore my prom dress. I do love it so it was cool, I just think it is great I could use stuff I already had for both weddings!

The night before the shower Melissa came to stay with us and the next day the kids were in heaven getting to spend some quality time with her and so was I! We all just love her so much!!
I wrote this on fb:
We had such a great time getting to be with her the whole day!! Melissa has such a special place in the hearts of our family in particular. She has done SO MUCH for us in our lives and we are grateful for the opportunity we had to show her our love in return in a small way by hosting this shower! She has such a gift for loving people! I told Kent last night after everyone left that it was so fun to spend the day with Melissa because my favorite parts of his personality come out all the more when she is around! Because of all we have been through together, we are just able to be our true selves around her more so than any other person since she was there through it all. I don't know if that makes sense. But it is true and we love her for it!

I feel kinda bad because she helped with so much of the preparations and decorations for her own shower, but I tried to give her jobs that I thought she would enjoy. Like flower arrangements. 

Here she is making last minute adjustments to the table just as the Murrays arrived!

It turned out perfect, if I do say so myself!


Isn't this banner she made awesome?!? Some people just have a talent for decorating! Others try their best, like me lol! 

Here is the beginning of the bachelor party! They went out for bowling and ice cream a little later.

It was such a fun night and she got so many great gifts, like this bread maker from Derek and Raycelan, with a loaf of bread already made in it! =o]
It made me feel so happy when Melissa told me later that they have been looking forward to my traditional gift- an FHE kit. I'm glad I decided to do it because I almost didn't since they are already in the habit of it!


Again, from fb:
This is a memory I just had to capture. Rebecca did this video interview game where she asked Karl questions and recorded the answers and we all had to guess what he would say. Apparently Melissa has been looking forward to getting to do this for a long time! You guys, every time he came on the screen she would just soak him up!! He said the sweetest things about her and their relationship and can't you just see it in her peaceful smile that she feels so loved! I am so happy for them and grateful to him for treating my sister in such a loving and respectful way so that she can be her best self!

We remembered to take a picture this time! I love these women!



And from fb:
The sweethearts! I just had to laugh because I had so many flash backs to when Kent and I were getting married and Melissa followed him around asking him questions and talking nonstop, and it has come full circle with Natalie wanting to hang out with Karl and Melissa having to find ways to rescue him lol! 
It was such a great experience! Now on to the next wedding event! Just just a bunch of stepping stones on the path to the Fresno Temple in 21 days 

I feel so blessed that I had the chance to take Melissa to get her temple clothing and garments. It was such a great experience! After picking her up and getting to hear about all the latest with the wedding plans and such as we drove, she stopped me when we parked and I was about to get out of the car and asked if we could say a prayer. The Spirit was SO strong as we prayed together! It was one of those prayers where the words come so easily and I can't help but smile as I speak because it just feels so GOOD and RIGHT and I KNOW God is listening and smiling too. I felt so much love for her in that prayer, and I know it was not all mine. 
We walked inside and then it was all decisions, decisions, decisions! But she handled it like a pro! We found her actual temple dress at the shop next door- I didn't get to see it on her, but I got to see her smile when she came out of the dressing room, and that was enough to know that she had found the one she wanted! Then we went back to Deseret Book so she could look for a journal and I found THIS. It is my favorite painting! I want to hang it in my room, but Kent isn't the biggest fan, and since it is his room too that wouldn't really be fair lol! It just speaks to me: One thing is needful, am I choosing that good part? 

I am sad I didn't take a picture with Melissa that day. So I snapped this picture of the store after I dropped her back off and was heading home. It doesn't make up for it ha ha!

The next event was Melissa getting her endowments at the Payson Temple. (Have I mentioned how much I love our babysitter? Well I do!) We really wanted to get to do the work for this one couple so we got there early to do the initiatories before the session and so I got to be there when Melissa came out from doing hers! She gave my mom a big hug. She looked radiant! Her eyes were shining and she was smiling like the whole world had changed. I couldn't help it, I nearly ran to her and wrapped my arms around her in a warm embrace! She had made it! The day was finally here!! The session was so peaceful and fulfilling. I got to sit next to Raycelan, and I was on the end of the row so I could see Melissa's reactions the whole time. Before starting I signed to Melissa that she is beautiful and I saw Karl nodding his head because he had seen us. =o]
Hopefully we weren't too rowdy in the celestial room as we all greeted each other with warm smiles and hugs and trying to be quiet laughter! We got to share our insights from that particular session and it was awesome to talk about everything so freely! Then we went out and took pictures before heading to Rebecca's house.  
From fb:
Heaven on earth!! It is impossible to put into words how wonderful I felt as I saw my little sister for the first time in the temple. Dressed in white, radiant smiles, joyful tears, heartfelt embraces, and filled with the Spirit of the Lord! She was finally here- we had been waiting for her to join us! THIS is worth every sacrifice. THIS is what LIFE is all about! ‪#‎familiescanbetogetherforever‬‪#‎ilovetoseethetemple‬

We had ice cream and laughed and talked and watched the fireworks. Kent got to hand out his impressive itinerary to everyone, which was super cool! =o] Eventually we had to pull away to go rescue our babysitter (who had fallen asleep on the couch poor thing) but it was a wonderful night I will always treasure. 

Then the day finally arrived and we drove out to California! The kids were so excited to see their cousins, even though we have been seeing them a ton! =o]

They were also excited to play with all of Grammy's classic toys!

But the highlight was definitely all the swimming in our neighbor's pool to beat the heat!

So much quality unscheduled time with the family on that first day was so relaxing and fun!



We put Seth to bed in Jenae's room and the rest of us slept out on the trampoline to watch the meteor shower. It was nostalgic for sure! We got to see a couple HUGE ones and the kids thought it was a grand adventure! And, we didn't get cold because we ended up in one big clump by morning! =o] 

The next day was a lot of preparations for the wedding, which everyone helped with while the kids ran around for the most part. I was so grateful for Kent's work ethic the whole weekend!

We made time to swim again and it was SO FUN to watch all the kids together! Jenna and Lydia were having the time of their lives! Jenna did a little mini swim lesson with Uncle Derek and it was adorable. She is FEARLESS!

Then we went back to the church for the family dinner. 


Melissa read all the kids a special story about temple marriage. It was priceless. 

Then we congregated in the YW room for better acoustics for our tradition of family singing. There is nothing quite like singing with my family. I love to hear our voices blend and join together in praise! I have also come to love all the new additions as siblings and children are added to the Hansen Clan. It has become even more fulfilling and beautiful! 

After a family prayer we all gathered around Melissa for a group hug. 

The Jenae convinced us to do a sibling "Go Team!" and to take a picture. It was super funny and we were all laughing and somebody said "Wait is this really everyone?? It seems so small!" And it was true. It did seem like there were people missing, and I think it is because we truly are meant to be just half of one whole. Our spouses complete us and so the circle was empty without them in it!

Then we worked until bedtime getting ready for the dinner and reception the next day. 

The morning of the wedding it was stressful getting out the door at the hotel, but as soon as we got to the temple peace washed over us and we were reminded of the real reason we were there and nothing else really mattered anymore. 
Natalie drew this adorable picture of the temple in her notebook.

We took these awesome family pictures before going in =o] Just look at us! 


Seth was less than thrilled about us leaving him outside with strangers, but apparently he survived the experience after all. 

Melissa and I were talking about this the other day, that sometimes it is so hard now to keep a memory about something when we don't have a picture of it. I feel this way and I wish I didn't. SO MANY MOMENTS have no visual record except in our minds, but those can fade unless we write them down. I wrote about the sealing in my journal on the way home, so I won't record it here, but it was beautiful and simple and I am so grateful we could be there all together like that! 

After the sealing all the immediate family stayed in the room for a minute after and looked in the mirrors. It was sweet. We decided that all the spouses would go out and rescue the children (and the babysitters!) and tell Jenae to come in just past the recommend desk so we could all be there when Melissa came out. It is impossible to describe the JOY and LOVE we felt in that no empty chairs group hug. The Atonement is REAL! The Plan of Happiness is truly the way to Eternal Life!!

Then we went outside and mingled with everyone, just waiting for the newlyweds to emerge!


I got a lot of interviews done while we were waiting. =o]

And out they came!!

All the nieces and nephews were so excited to give the beautiful bride a hug!



Jenae was the perfect maid of honor! =o]



I didn't know she had gotten a pair of white crocs to wear and I just had to document her true devotion! 
CROCS FOR LIFE!

Then while the happy couple took pictures with Karl's side of the family, we got to hang out and take some precious pictures of our own!





Is not this the cutest picture EVER?!? I love it!!

Rebecca made this fancy version on instagram and I stole it. =o]

Siblings! We took one of all the sisters too, but I didn't get it on my camera.  

The originals. 

The whole crew!!


Then we headed back to Madera for a birthday party for Evenlyn! She is such a fun girl!


Then we decorated for the luncheon/dinner and got all the food ready. 

It was a great time once we all got to start eating! The kids were all off their schedules but that is just the way it goes on trips, especially for events like this!
And besides, the most important thing is that Karl and Melissa were on cloud nine the whole time! =o] I was so grateful to Kent for all the work he did, just picking up the slack during this whole day. He would see a need and fill it and I love him for that!

We got to do our tradition of telling stories about our sibling and it was a special time once again. We just adore Melissa so much and she has done so much for us that it is good to know this new and beautiful part of her life is starting out the right way. I don't know if that makes sense. Telling about all these memories of her was like the closing of that book. She is starting a new one now! And this day was the first page of it, so I'm glad we could all be there with her.

After the luncheon we had some "down time" before the reception so we took these awesome pictures! Here is what I wrote on fb:
BOOM!! Four Coyotes and four Stallions all with a varsity letter in at least one sport! Katrina and Melissa decided to not buy jackets in high school and Jenae and Katrina had to show off their FFA pride too smile emoticon
 We realized after that we should have had people wear their homecoming crowns too- well, those who won them lol!


Then Melissa and Karl worked on their video and display stuff for the reception while the rest of us cleaned up and set up and hung out!




Everything turned out beautifully!




My uncle Rodney and I decorated the car appropriately. =o] 


The actual reception was so nice! Everything went smoothly, or as smoothly as wedding receptions ever go! =o]



Natalie felt SO SPECIAL that Karl would dance with her!! He is such an awesome guy and we love him already!

We LOVE to dance!!!! The Hansens know how to swing it!! 




They had a brownie ice cream cake, that tragically started to melt! But they didn't care lol!



As the party started to wind down there were two more important traditions Melissa wanted to do before leaving: throwing her bouquet and being sent off with a traditional rice throw! Unfortunately, Jenae missed them both because she was at the store getting a much needed last minute item. Luckily, we got them both on video so if she really wants to see them she can someday! (Once Kent finishes the awesome movie he is making for them that is!)

They went in to get ready to leave and we started handing out the rice. As you can see here, some of the children were desperately starved enough to eat the raw rice from their cups. No bueno.

Here is Caleb still dancing =o]

We lined everyone up and got ready for them to come out and run down the aisle!

Here they come!


There they go!

And then they were gone. 

Kent and I took our kids back to the hotel and put them to bed and then I came back to help finish cleaning up. I'm so glad that I did because Rebecca did the same thing, and so did Jenae and her boyfriend Joseph. A couple other faithful friends and family members had stayed to the end helping to clean the church and load up the cars to take back home. It was fun to listen to music and sing and eat cookies and talk as we worked. Once we got home we unloaded everything and talked until after midnight. Here is what I posted on fb:
And here is the pile my poor mom gets to return and put away! Weddings are such happy labors of love!! At least we got the church clean by 11pm and only had to make one trip home since we piled four cars/trucks to the brim! I still didn't get back to the hotel until almost 1am after unloading, but that is partially my fault for staying around to talk.

The next morning bright and early we all gathered at the church to see Donny bless his sweet new baby Claire. I didn't get a picture though because we left right after Kent accompanied Jenae and her friends in the musical number. All in all a wonderful weekend!
I stole this picture off Donny's wall later. 

Driving home Kent and I talked about everything that happened and swapped stories and discussed plans for hanging out with the new couple for the next few years. I wrote in my journal. We drove and drove and drove and weren't sure we were going to make it but finally arrived home safe and sound.

So there you have it. The wedding story from my perspective. We are so grateful for the memories we made, and for their bright future together! Congratulations Melissa and Karl! We love you!!

1 comment:

  1. finally read this! I wanted to wait until I wrote mine so I wouldn't let your memories influence mine, you know? :) Loved it and you included several things I had forgotten lol. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete