Monday, January 4, 2016

Christmas Eve

On Christmas Eve morning Natalie came and got me to show me that she had gotten Samantha's room ready for Christmas too. =o]

We got a ton of Christmas cards in the mail that day! I loved it! I love exchanging cards with friends and family each year. Maybe one of these years I will even write a letter again to go with our photo card!

The morning was spent cleaning and taking care of last minute preparations. The anticipation was palpable! 

The Murray cousins came over that afternoon to act out the Christmas story with us! We were so excited to be together that it seemed like acting out the story was an afterthought of the playtime instead of the reason for coming but oh well! 
Kent was the Narrator. 
Seth was King Herod and he protested his costume. 

Here is everyone getting dressed and ready!

Joseph and Mary, both riding a donkey since that is more fair lol!

I was the flustered innkeeper who turned them away. 

Natalie and Whitney were the angels. Caleb and Maris were the shepherds. 

They had the brilliant idea of adding songs to the show!
It was super sweet and cute and they looked like they were having so much fun belting out "JOY to the world!!"

The Shepherds visiting the Holy Family. 

Then came the Wise Men from the East! They also burst onto the scene in song!

Presenting the gifts. Then the angles came and told them to go home another way. And after Mary pondered these things in her heart the play was done!
I am grateful for this tradition of participatory theater in remembering the story of Christ's life. I think it prepares children for the temple. 

After cleaning up the props and playing for a bit more and then doing a five minute blitz on every level we left to go out to dinner! The older girls rode with us and it was so fun to hear them making up Christmas songs in the back row with the younger kids trying to join in at every chance they could. I love cousin time!!
(Seth is loudly complaining that we forgot his blanket, just in case you were wondering.)

Why? These are just begging to be tipped over or climbed into!

The whole crew! It was a delicious dinner with no dishes to do!

It did run a little long though, so Mater had to come and save the day again. 

When we got home everyone hurried into their pajamas and we opened our last book- Santa's Favorite Christmas Story. It was unplanned but perfect! We read scriptures, sang a song, and said prayers, and then headed into the kitchen for our special Christmas cookies and milk.

As we were just getting ready to make a plate for Santa and his reindeer we heard a knock at the door. Russ and D'Ann surprised us and stopped by! It was so fun for the kids to tell them all about our day and just share in the excitement of Christmas Eve! I love living near so much family! It just makes the holidays that much more special. Random surprise visits from family members? YES please!! =o] Before we knew it though it was time for bed. The kids serenaded our visitors to the door with big smiles all around and then we headed upstairs. 

I love singing my kids to sleep, or at least singing them a song before they go to sleep, but especially at Christmastime. The carols and Christmas primary songs are all so special to me. I hope they feel the Spirit as we sing them together and as they learn the words I hope they can feel of their truth! I smiled through all the songs that night and so did they. Surprisingly, no one came out! Natalie had a hard time going to sleep because she was so excited, but finally even her room went quiet. It was so fun because I got to help Kent arrange everything this year, and carry all the presents for the kids out of hiding. He still shewed me off to bed before putting mine out, but it was fun to share in the thrill of Santa's work!

Here is our Epiphany Day tree that I got ready. These three presents each are to open for the Day of the Wise Men on January 6th!

I went to bed feeling like I couldn't believe it was actually here! All the planning and traditions and preparations were culminating and it was exciting to say the least!!

No comments:

Post a Comment